Pre Departure

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions that haven't been answered below, please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and we'll add it to the list.



Q: What visa should I apply for to study in China?

A: Students who wish to come to China to study should apply for Visa X (Student Visa). Universities will issue an Admission Letter and JW202 Form which should be used when applying for your visa.

A: Students who will study for less than 180 days will be granted an X2 visa. This is a single entry visa which will cover you for the duration of your course.

A: Students who will study for over 180 days will be granted an X1 visa. This must be converted to a Residents Permit on arrival. This involves taking part in a medical exam. The exam results will form part of the application for your Residents Permit. The entire application process costs approx 960RMB and CSA will help you every step of the way during this process!

Q: Can I come to China on a Tourist Visa?

A: Yes. Late applicants often come to China on a Tourist Visa. Once you have arrived in China we can help you convert your visa.

Q: I want to stay in China after I have completed my course. Can I extend my visa?

A: It depends on what visa you entered the country with. YES - Students who are in China with a Visa L (Tourist Visa) can extend their visas by one month. This involves holding approx 20,000RMB in your personal Chinese bank account for approx 10 working days while the application is being made. NO - Students who are in China with a Visa X (Student Visa) are unable to extend their visa. They must leave the country and reapply for a different visa.



Q: How much money should I bring to China?

A: The amount of spending money you will need in addition to the program fee and rent will really depend on how you budget for food, transportation around the city, entertainment, and shopping.

While food isn't included in the program fee (except breakfast and dinner, Monday to Friday included with the homestay accommodation), there is a wide range of cheap and expensive restaurants in all cities. By eating in the university cafeteria or other restaurants near the school, meals can usually be purchased for 8-15RMB (US$1.25-$2.50). If you mostly eat at cheaper Chinese restaurants or the school cafeterias and do some shopping, US$75 to $100 a week would be more than enough for basic expenses and some exploring of the city.

Q: How can I access my money? Are there cash machines and currency changing services available?

A: Yes, there are ATM / cash facilities available on most campuses and within short walking distance of all our accommodations. Currency can be exchanged upon arrival at the airport or at local bank branches with presentation of your passport. CSA staff can help you exchange money if you're nervous about doing it on your own.

Q: Should I / Can I open a Chinese bank account?

A: Some students find it easier to manage their money and student budgets by opening a local Chinese bank account. CSA staff will help you through the process of opening one in your first few days after arrival.

Bear in mind that it can be tricky and expensive transferring money in and out of a Chinese account through international bank transfers or online. We find it best if you can deposit cash to fund your account.


 What to bring to China

Q: What kind of clothes should I bring to china?

A: It’s best to research the climate of your program city prior to your arrival in China.

Winter can be extremely cold in China, particularly in northern cities like Beijing, so you should plan your winter wardrobe accordingly and prepare for below-zero conditions.

Same goes for the summer – temperatures can reach above 40 degrees in the height of summer, even in Beijing. Cities in the south like Shanghai, are also quite humid all year-round, and you might feel the need to take multiple showers per day!

While there are no cultural restrictions when it comes to clothes and fashion, it is best to pack whatever you think is appropriate and culturally sensitive.

Q: Is there anything special I should bring with me to China?

A: Most Western-style goods are available to be purchased here in China, but particular items and specific brands may be difficult to find or rather expensive.

We find that some students prefer to bring certain items from home rather than purchase them here; they include spray-deodorant, tampons, dental floss, pain medication, and beauty products.



China Study Abroad recommend using Student Universe for booking flights. Please request PROMO CODE from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to receive a discount!  

  • Beijing

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    3610 Capital Mansions,
    6 Xinyuan Nan Road, Chaoyang
    Beijing, 100027
    Phone: (+86) 10 8468 3799 
  • London

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    154 Bishopsgate
    London EC2M 4LN
    United Kingdom
    Phone: (+44) 0207 377 84 
  • Hong Kong

    China Study Abroad Ltd
    Rm 604-7 Dominion Centre
    43-59 Queen’s Road East
    Hong Kong
    Phone: (+852) 800 968 924 


f-grey t-grey

Our Newsletter